Friday, February 09, 2007

Not dead yet.
Assignment, Christmas, Bronchitis, University, return of assignment ( I got merits in every category -hurrah), placement. Haven't had time for much self reflection and not just on my teaching skills - my eyebrows are in a shocking state. I noticed them today when I had to wash whiteboard marker off my face.
Have finished second week of my second placement. This time I'm at Verylocalacademyindeed. This is the school the Boy Wonder will attend as of August. I dont't know whether to feel sorry for the school or for my eccentric , chaotic, butterfly-brained progeny. I'm worried how he will fit in in this particular educational environment.

Its assessment,assessment,assessment at the moment. I am learning about the dangers of assessment - difficult to do reliably for at least nine different reasons. I'm not listing them, go and read your Cohen and Manion. I'm learning that research shows that formative assessment (comments showing how your pupils could improve their performance) raises grades by 30% and that if you are going to give a pupil a grade or mark you are wasting your time if you
At the same time make any comments, the pupil gains no benefit.
Interestingly at the same time the university is returning our essays with a grade in 6 different boxes,an overall grade and comments.(?!)
The department are marking higher prelims, chasing folios for standard grade assessment and having meetings about whether we should give second years a prelim as they will be sitting standard grade in S3 instead of S4.
I wish we were having meetings about the wisdom of SG at this stage.
Based on my experience so far I think we definately need to do something about what we teach them in S1 & 2. Its just drift,the able ones do stuff they have done to death in primary6/7 and in all honesty i think we teach it less well than they do there. In the mean time the ones who have arrived without a secure grip of the basic skills learn to act tough and disrupt the class to hide their inability to do the work.
I don't think that getting them onto the exam treadmill so young is going to help, particularly in English where you need a certain amount of emotional maturity to write beautifully about Shakespeare. I think we could be setting them up for a horrible fail.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home