Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tutor visits. Howard Gardner interview

Got dates for my tutors visits today, 23 Nov, (period 6 First year), 5 Dec( period 4 third year). We looked at lesson planning to highlight good and bad examples they all looked better than I could come up with. Must remember that

  • lesson plan is a working document for me to use, not something to impress the tutor
  • objectives are about learning not task completion and should be shared with the class
  • should have behaviour objectives in lesson plans especially at first
  • keep thinking "LEARNING"
I feel tired and apprehensive today but its clear i'm not alone. A lot of my fellow students are tired and a bit stressed this week. Hopefully the reality of going into school next week and teaching whole lessons on our own won't be as bad as the anticipation.
Howard Gardiner of multiple intelligencies fame was interviewed last night.http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/learningcurve

3 Comments:

Blogger TallulahFred said...

Your session plans don't sound that different to the ones I do for informal learning. Learning outcomes are set and we use the session plan as a tool to deliver the session: i.e. what we're going to do, the timeframe, resources, tutor activity, learner activity and evaluation method for each element making up the session. I'm very glad to hear a formal learning professional emphasise that objectives are about learning and not task completion! This gives me faith in the formal education system. All our work is about people leaving us knowing something they didn't know when they arrived, having used a particular set of skills (possibly ones they didn't even know they had). It concerns me that a lot of school education appears to be about teaching pupils how to pass exams rather than helping them learn.

8:54 pm  
Blogger Kenneth... said...

You might want to think about Bloom's taxonomy when writing your learning outcomes.

Another idea would be to choose a topic that you will be covering in the next few weeks and challenge the blogosphere to communally write the learning outcomes. I'd be up for that!

7:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on starting your own blog! I wish I had done one when I was training to be a teacher.
Good luck with your placements!

7:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home